A few day’s ago the System Center team posted a blog on the Windows Server blog post about the upcoming 2019 release this month.
For the 2019 release there was not alot of new features but i wanted to highlight one, the new Azure Monitor overview page. It’s an integration between the DPM server wich is connected to Azure Backup and Azure Log Analytics.
One of the neat things you can do with Virtual Machine Manager is configure it to replicate Virtual Machines to a Azure Recovery Services Vault. And you can use Azure Site Recovery to fail those Virtual Machines over to Azure if you need to.
So you have a DPM server and are thinking, it could be nice to have a offsite backup of my backups.
There are 2 ways to go. You can enable the DPM Azure Cloud backup. Wich is a nice feature. But it’s more for having a longer retention of your backup. And you will need to either reinstall the DPM server or install the Azure Backup Server somewhere and connect it to the Recovery Service Vault to restore the data.
4 weeks ago i started my new job at CTGlobal here in Norway. Where i will be focusing on S2D, VMM, OMS, Azure Stack and other datacenter solutions. As we are deploying S2D with VMM we wanted to build an easy to use but robust way of configuring VMM and deploy the physical hosts for S2D and configure them all the way til we create the cluster and enable S2D. Deploying the host require BMC deep discovery of the host. It detects everything from disks, controller, network cards and so on. In my home lab i have Mellanox CX3 cards and are using them for host mgmt and SMB, so i am using a setSwitch with this. And configured this in the script.
After System Center 2016 came out i went straight on to setting up DPM 2016 with Modern Backup Storage. This had been running fine for a while. A bit slow for the DPM console to respond after doing a synchronization .
A week ago i got an email that one of our Virtual Machines latest backup had failed and was in an inconsistent state.
So tried to do a synchronization but that did not help. Then i tried removing the backup and adding it again. Now it would say it was ok, but it had only backed up 79MB. So i did a new synchronization and it failed with a Replica is Inconsistent and the error msg in the logs where